The Components of a Healthy Life
My idea of a healthy life is:
To get enough rest.
To eat a balanced diet with as much variety, texture, colour and interest as possible.
To be happy, and to also ensure that I have the self-esteem and confidence to live my life to the full.
To get enough exercise so that I feel as fit and strong as possible.
To apply the 80/20 rule. That is for 80% of the time I eat well, sleep well and exercise well, and the remaining 20% is given over to some treats That always seems like a fair and equitable balance to me.
The above rules, mantra, regime, or whatever you want to call them, suit my life well, they work for me and, perhaps most importantly, have been sustainable over the long term. That’s not to say that they’ve always been easy to apply; they haven’t, and it’s taken practise and commitment over the years – especially as I have a very sweet tooth. But they gradually became a habit and fit me like a favourite old coat.